Friday, September 24, 2010

It's all in your head.

Today was the first day I did the "king" of asanas (yoga positions), the headstand.  I should say it was the first time I attempted it in the middle of the studio floor and not up against the wall. 

It wasn't perfect.  My legs were piked forward, slightly, but I got up and balanced without assistance.  Woo-hoo!

Then...I stayed up for what seemed like a world record breaking headstand.  It was probably only a couple of minutes, but when you're balancing on your head time goes by slower.    I've just started attempting this pose so I can't say if I've benefited from all the wonderful things they're supposed to do: of course help blow flow to the head and brain, help circulation, relieve lower back stress, bring a sense of calm. 

I can say that once the terror of falling over onto the person next to you subsides, it really is calming.  And any kind of calming for me is close to a miracle.  (Picture below is from yoga-made-ez.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment