Thursday, September 9, 2010

1/2 the distance, twice the fun!

1/2 marathon in Maui in just over a week!  The race was in the back of my mind the whole time I was doing my triathlon training.  Knowing that I would have to start increasing my 6 mile runs every week weighed a little heavy on my mind.  I really wasn't giving myself a lot of time to fully prepare for the race. 

I did my first 1/2 last year and followed a much more structured training plan. I had more miles on my legs by this point in my training.  My hope is that for this one, even though I haven't been running as many miles each week, with the cross training my legs are stronger.  So far this theory is holding up. 

The first jump in mileage went up to 8 miles.  In the past 8 miles has been kind to me.  I liked that distance and my body responded well to it.  Not this 8 miles.  This 8 miles was tough; shockingly tough.  All I could think was "I'm in trouble".  The next week I needed to do 10 miles.  This time I got up extra early and was out the door by 6:00 am.  What a world of difference.  I ended up running almost 11 miles and could have kept going.  Phew!  Yesterday I did 12 miles and it was another tough one.  However, I didn't get out and running until after 8:30.  The late start and the heat really takes a toll on how effective a run you have.  At least that's what I believe.  I completed my run, but I had to dig down deep at mile 9 to keep running 3 more miles. 

So, the rest of the time I get to scale back.  Perhaps another 8 mile run and a couple 4 mile ones thrown in.  Don't tell anyone that I've been bad and haven't done any hill work.  I specifically picked the Maui race for its flat course and because it travels along the coast line.  If you have to be running for at least 2 hours straight you might as well have something pretty to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment